Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It has been about a week now since I was diagnosed and began trying to change. I've had some successes and some challenges. I've found that my mind is on diabetes and my health quite a lot of the time. I guess that's true of any major life event. I wonder if I will ever be done processing it and will be able to just live with it? I know that will eventually happen, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it.

I've started changing up meals to fit my needs. I switched from a baked potato to a sweet potato with my steak (which I had a smaller portion of than usual). I had an orange instead of chips. I switched to brown rice instead of white and whole grain bread instead of white. Even snacking is different, with fruit instead of sweets.

One of my challenges is, and probably always will be, eating out. We go out to eat on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as a meal or two of fast food most weekends. I've already determined that Jason's Deli will be a good place to go. Fast food is much trickier. It's hard to think of any fast food that isn't based on carbs. Yeah, you can get a salad at McDonald's, but if I'm going to have a salad, I'd rather make it at home.

Another challenge I'm having is on the exercise front. I can be motivated to exercise. I know I have to do it for my health. My problem is that sometimes it's hard to exercise because of pain in my abdomen from the cysts caused by my Endometriosis. Yesterday, walking on the beach, it eventually got to be too much for me and I had to cut my shelling a little short. I'll just have to do what I can, when I can.

Overall, I feel good about the direction I'm heading. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm getting advice and help from a lot of places. I just need to remember to not let this take over my life for too long!

2 comments:

Melissa Melgar said...

Super proud of you girl for putting your best foot forward and tackling this with such a positive attitude- you're stronger than me! Good luck, I'm rooting for you all the way. I'm making some changes too and hopefully we can motivate each other and bounce ideas off one another!

Unknown said...

Sounds good, Melissa! Believe me, if I can change some of my bad habits, anyone can! I can't remember if you're on Pinterest, but I've found it to be a great resource for healthy recipes. Just be careful, because there are a ton of unhealthy ones, too!